Social Media Buying Statistics
1. Between 2021 and 2022, social media users increased by over 10%. In raw numbers, this represents more than 376 million new users and a total social media reach of 4.62 billion.
social media buying statistics
4. Internet users are expected to spend more than 1/3 of their internet time on social media. This total internet consumption adds up to 1.25 years. This provides many opportunities to reach customers.
5. The part of the world with the highest level of social media saturation are in Northern Europe and Western Europe. Saturation rates in these areas stand at 85% and 84% respectively. (Further reading: 5 Most Popular Platforms for Social Media Marketing in China)
American internet-related statistics are also important because of the huge number of users concentrated in one place. Finally, Americans buy a lot of goods and services relative to their incomes, making entry into their social channels absolutely vital for digital marketing strategies.
10. According to Emarketer, social media has a wide range of saturation based on age. Millennials lead the way with 90.4% being active users. For Gen X, that number is 77.5%, and Baby Boomers still participate at a rate of 48.2%.
12. Even when the entire adult US population is considered, social media is widely used. In fact, 68% of adults are on social media. There are few places which are so effective at reaching customers.
13. Children are getting social media profiles relatively young. In fact, an astounding 44% of 8-11-year olds are on at least one social media network. This number increases sharply in 12-15-year olds, with usage at 87%.
Remember when slow desktops were the only way to access the internet? Well, times have changed, to the relief of social media platforms and active users. For sure, most of us have at least one laptop or desktop, if only for work or school. But for consumers in developing countries, mobile phones (and mobile internet) are the main way to get online. In addition, children may have a greater level of access to smartphones than they do a laptop. These factors and others have led to mobile phones becoming an important way to access social media. Social media marketers must take pains to ensure that their marketing efforts on social platforms are optimized for mobile devices.
17. Sharing and engagement often happen away from where a piece of social media content was posted. In fact, 84% of content sharing happens outside of social media on other platforms, including instant messenger, email, and SMS.
Like the television of the past, social media is becoming a major driver of consumer decisions. In fact, many people turn to social media to decide what to buy, making social marketing efforts an indispensable part of digital marketing. In addition, customer service is sometimes done via social media sites. One of the reasons for this is that people like to work with brands who others say is OK, and which are attentive to consumers.
For many internet users, social media is a major gateway to the world, and where people compare notes about products and services. Furthermore, word about events or experiences, good and bad, travels fast on social media apps .
31. For 43% of all internet users, social media is a major source of information on what to buy. It is also a great way to stumble upon new products, no matter the precise type of content being used in social media marketing efforts.
Now more than ever, speaking out about issues on social media is crucial for brands. In addition, users like to know about any service or product changes that are taking place. Social responsibility among companies and taking a stand on current issues are increasingly being demanded of corporations. Finally, companies should be careful about which side they are on, because some customers make buying decisions on that basis. If digital marketers include stances on social channels, they may see a decline in some of their audience members (but may make up that decline with similarly-minded internet users).
37. For 86% of Americans, transparency on social media is so important that they will take their business elsewhere if a brand refuses to show transparency. This is an all-time high and should factor into your next marketing campaign.
38. Over half, or 53%, of social media users say that transparency regarding changes to products and services is critical. They also expect companies to express values on social media.
39. Of all social media content types, video is considered the most transparent content type by 67% of consumers. Taking that one step further, 43% of consumers believe that live video is the most transparent form of content creation.
What these social media marketing stats tell us is compelling. For most B2C and B2B marketers and brands, social media is the place to be seen by and engage with consumers, whether that is accomplished via stories announcing new blog posts or daily posts about products and services. From a consumer perspective, social media is where everything happens. Is your marketing campaign staying up to date? Increasingly, the brands consumers interact with, and talk about, on social media guide their purchasing decisions, so content creation should not be moved to the back burner
While many marketers still try to find ROI from their social media marketing strategies, perhaps the greatest ROI comes not from clicks but by simply having a presence, engaging in conversation, and responding to both questions and issues that impact our society.
Either way, regardless of how much or little ROI you glean from your social media marketing, it is simply an area that you cannot ignore in your business anymore, as the most recent social media stats can attest.
Neal Schaffer is a leading authority on helping businesses through their digital transformation of sales and marketing through consulting, training, and helping enterprises large and small develop and execute on social media marketing strategy, influencer marketing, and social selling initiatives. President of the social media agency PDCA Social, Neal also teaches digital media to executives at Rutgers University, the Irish Management Institute (Ireland), and the University of Jyvaskyla (Finland). Fluent in Japanese and Mandarin Chinese, Neal is a popular keynote speaker and has been invited to speak about digital media on four continents in a dozen countries. He is also the author of 3 books on social media, including Maximize Your Social (Wiley), and in late 2019 will publish his 4th book, The Business of Influence (HarperCollins), on educating the market on the why and how every business should leverage the potential of influencer marketing. Neal resides in Irvine, California but also frequently travels to Japan.
Social media marketing statistics can show you the state of the business world today, where it might be going, and how you can ensure your business is continuously meeting customers where they want to be met.
Instagram quietly crossed 2 billion users in 2022 and brands are still scrambling to get more Instagram followers. Below are the top social media statistics for Instagram.
The concept of buying something you saw on social media is nothing new. From product recommendations to first impressions from brands, the impact of social media on consumers is well-documented.
But the question is, is it worth investing in social media when starting your business ? Should social media marketing be a focus area for your marketing strategy in 2022? The answer depends on your customers, but in no way should social media marketing be ignored.
We thought it would be a great idea to share the most important social media statistics to keep in mind for 2022. Staying on top of the latest social media statistics will help enhance your marketing strategy and plan the interactions of your business with social media.
One of the reasons for the high usage of social media is that mobile and internet possibilities for users are continually improving, which makes it increasingly simpler to access social media, no matter where you are.
To break it down, 84% of US adults aged from 18 to 29 are active social media users (Pew Research Center, 2021). This number falls slightly to 81% for the 30- to 49-year-old age group and further to 73% for those aged 50 to 64. US adults who are 65 years old and above use social media the least.
Young adults continue to be the generation with the highest use of social media and also the broadest access to smartphones. The older generation, on the other hand, are more likely to be using tablets. Baby Boomers are also bridging their gap with technology and are increasingly becoming more familiar with social media platforms.
Many buyers are also on social media networks to look for reviews and recommendations. In fact, 27.9% use social media to find inspiration for things to do and buy and 23% do so to see what content their favorite brands are posting.
Stories are a big deal on Instagram. And they're essential when it comes down to how to get Instagram followers. They let you share the moments of your day, without saving them to your profile. The following social media statistic shows us the number of daily active Instagram Stories users, which has increased from 150 million in January 2017 to 500 million in January 2019 (Statista, 2019).
Save time managing your social media presence with Hootsuite. From a single dashboard you can publish and schedule posts, find relevant conversions, engage the audience, measure results, and more. Try it free today.
We'll keep this post updated during 2023 as the latest statistics are published drawing on our recommended top 10 digital marketing statistics sources. We'll be pointing to new data on the popularity of social media from Global Web Index (worldwide), Pew Internet Surveys (US) and OfCom (UK), and most recently the Datareportal January 2023 global overview. 041b061a72